zondag 28 maart 2010

Ruins - Hyderomastgroningem (1995)

As we know, the label Tzadik always stands for great avant-garde stuff. Ranging from jazz, klezmer, zeuhl or metal, their releases always interest me. The label is lead by John Zorn, who is also a great hero for me, because of his openmindedness, which can be found in his output. Zorn started Naked City, for example, a group that brings free jazz and grindcore extremely close to each other.

So, what we have here is Ruins. Ruins is basically Tatsuya Yoshida, who is a drummer and is in about 30 bands at once, together with a bass-player, on this album Sasaki Hisashi. They create very long and very short songs, and what happens in between is often a mix of zeuhl (avant-prog with its own language, invented by Magma), funk, jazz, Japanese jibberish and freak-outs. I find this album a masterpiece, for one, but I guess not everybody will agree with me.

ordinary people in Idaho
192kbps