dinsdag 6 april 2010

Prince Far I - Under Heavy Manners (1977)

I guess when you get dub/reggae, it's a very easy genre. I guess when you don't get reggae, you will never ever get it. You will never enjoy the thick bass that lays lazily over all the tracks, you will never enjoy the lyrics and the way of singing and you will never understand the people who like it. Funny anecdote: Prince Far I, née Michael James Williams, used to be a bouncer/security guard at various clubs and recording studios and he started singing when another DJ failed to come up and he filled up the void by doing a session.

And then there's this artist called Prince Far I. I guess even the most devoted reggae-fans will have a hard time in the beginning with Prince Far I. In the reggae genre, he is an acquired taste. His mumbly singing style, his sand paper voice, it's all a bit tough at first. But when you get used to it, it opens important doors for reggae fans searching for more in the field.

heavy manners
320kbps

2 opmerkingen:

Anoniem zei

a great selection you offer here, i like especially the genre-crossing approach. and i wish i could write short personal reviews like yours...

thanks for that far-i, btw - one i didn't know before!

cheers

Luc zei

Thanks, it's much appreciated when people respond to my posts. I'm glad I introduced you to this album.