maandag 5 april 2010

Odetta - Odetta Sings Ballads and Blues (1956)

When I first heard about the existence of this album, I immediately had the feeling that this girl Odetta was a blues singer, a more friendly, female equivalent of all the howling blues singers of her time and before. I was wrong. Bob Dylan was more influenced by this than blues was. Odetta is mostly a folk singer with a certain degree of blues in her voice. This album, recorded in 1956 (!) is a brilliant and very early milestone in folk music. Odetta's voice may well be the most mighty in folk history.

Incredibly sparse, compared to all the big arrangements, jazz orchestras and other ensembles from that time, this album is essentially Odetta with a guitar, sometimes accompanied by a tasteful acoustic bass. I highly recommend this to everyone, because the songs are very melodic and lovely. Odetta's voice is powerful enough to blow you away, there are no amplifiers cranked up to 11 needed to create such effects.

god's gonna cut you down
VBR

1 opmerking:

Anoniem zei

I like the valuable info you provide in your articles.
I'll bookmark your blog and check again here frequently. I am quite certain I'll learn a lot of new stuff right here!
Best of luck for the next!
my webpage - How to Buy followers on twitter